Hunting Made Easy
WITH HANMER SPRINGS HELICOPTERS
The Hanmer Springs region and New Zealand's Upper South Island offer premier high-country alpine hunting for Red Deer, Chamois, Wild Pigs, Ducks and Canadian Geese. We have 25 years hunting experience in this region and can offer excellent advice on locations and seasonal movements of game animals.
Trophy hunting opportunities, particularly for chamois, are world class and this region boasts top quality chamois bucks.
Available Hunting Blocks
North Canterbury, Kaikoura, Marlborough, Clarence, West Coast have a wide selection of Department of Conservation (DOC) blocks that offer a range of game species including red deer, chamois, and in some cases fishing and bird shooting. Hanmer Springs Helicopters, trading as Amuri Helicopters, has an access concession for DOC lands.
Hanmer Helicopters trading as Amuri Helicopters, has an access concession for St James Station. This large tract of Conservation land offers an excellent range of wild species including red deer, chamois, wild pigs, Canadian geese, ducks and brown trout.
Canadian geese and ducks are in abundance in the river basins and most blocks have huts or bivvies, or you can fly camp if you prefer.
Hunters on DOC lands are required to obtain a DOC hunting permit - this includes St James Station. If you intend fishing on the rivers and lakes you will also require a fishing licence. We recommend that each party has a mountain radio available and/or carries a personal locator beacon (PLB).
- Drop off hunts - 1 to multiple days - your choice
- Access to DOC lands
- Access to the St James Station
- Huts are available or you can fly camp
- Guides are available if required
- There is an excellent range of accommodation available in Hanmer Springs for stopovers. And, of course, you can soak those aching muscles in New Zealand's premier thermal pools
- Intimate knowledge of hunting areas
- Hunting tours are priced on a case by case basis
- Locations vary from NZ$500 to $1500 p/person for a drop off and pick up for up to 4 hunters
- If you would like to make inquiries, let us know your requirements, and we'll get back in touch with a price
- Prices are in NZ Dollars and include GST
- Additional concession fees may apply on DOC lands
- AS350 - 3 to 4 hunters making this very cost effective per person. Weight restrictions apply for hunters and support equipment
- MD 520N - 1 to 2 hunters making this cost effective for smaller parties. Weight restrictions apply for hunters and support equipment
What you MUST have
- Hunting permit from the Department of Conservation (if hunting on DOC lands)
- Firearm licence
- Mountain radio
- Personal locator beacon
- Pack gear in boxes - banana boxes are good. If possible weigh them and mark the weight on the box
- Rifles should be unloaded with bolts removed
- Keep dangerous goods separate for us to load e.g lpg bottles, gas cylinders, cooking fluid, ammunition etc
- Leave us a copy of your travel bookings e.g ferry crossing, flights etc
- Make sure you allow enough time to connect with ferry, flights etc allowing for weather interruptions
- Notify us of any medical conditions you might have
- We prefer afternoon fly ins/fly outs - try to plan your travel accordingly
Professional guides we recommend
Please check out our Policies.